The fourth week of reading through and watching The Chosen is here! See our previous posts if you need to catch up.
|Luke 1:5-25, 57-80|
Matthew 16:13-20 (Peter <later> ultimately gives a confession of Jesus as the Messiah)
|Luke 5:1-11 (Isaiah 6:5 reflects Peter’s humble response to Jesus)|
|Watch Episode 4|
Questions to consider:
1. I think we can all relate to Simon in a way. We all have various stresses, deadlines, and are pulled between right and wrong. How can you personally relate to his predicament?
2. John the Baptist is referred to as a “loud man in camel skin” by the Pharisees, who were upset at the questioning of their authority. Does Nicodemus seem to begin to realize what is going on at this point?
3. Simon is at first in doubt upon hearing the news of the Messiah. Have you ever struggled with doubt? How did you find God during your time of doubt?
4. Jesus performs the miracles of the catching of fish, which solves Simon’s biggest stress. When has Jesus come into your life and poured down his grace and love when you least expected it? How?
5. Did you see Jesus’ look when Peter and Andrew were hauling in the massive amount of fish, knowing they were having a breakthrough moment in their faith? How do you think Jesus looks at us when we also have those moments?
Other passages to check out:
Title of the episode based on Peter’s confession of Jesus as the Messiah – Matthew 16:13-20
A later miraculous catch, possibly serving as a renewal and restoration for Peter after his denial – John 21:1-19
Later passages on John the baptizer – Matthew 11:1-19, Matthew 14:1-12